Away Match vs Gillingham Town FC (TWLPD)


Tuesday 16 February 2016


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


0-0 (Away Draw)


Adam Barratt

Match Report

For the first time since December 12th Gillingham Town managed to get a game on at their Hardings Lane Headquarters following a lunch time pitch inspection much to the relief of both sides and probably the Toolstation League Secretary!Sherborne fielded the same side that was victorious in their last outing at Clevedon Town whilst Gillignham had a host of former Sherborne Town players in their squad in the shape of Phil Ormrod,Ben Cochrane, Haydn Hodges and Lewis Morgan to add some extra spice to the affair as if having former Assistant Manager Neil Waddleton heading the Gills wasn’t enough.
The game kicked off and it was soon evident the pitch was going to play its part being very heavy in places nut to both sides credit it was also clear they were both going to try and play open football. The game sprung into life in the eighth minute when Ashley Clarke was late on Adam Barratt earing the former a yellow card.Luke Winsper also picked up a card for trying to exchange handbags with Clarke following the tackle.
Chances were few and far between at both ends Gillingham Nick Thomson directed a cross goalwards that Beale easily claimed whilst at the other end Steve Burton was unlucky to see his shot fly wide from a Harry Montacute cross.
The 40th minute saw the closest either side came to scoring when Steve Smith got on the end of a cross and headed past Beale only to see the assistant referees flag raised to deny him. The home side finished the half on the front foot winning a succession of free kicks on the edge of the Sherborne area that Ormrod and Vance couldn’t convert into meaningful efforts on Beales goal.
Sherborne started the second half much the brighter side playing down the slope, Luke Winsper forced an early corner that was flashed across the Gillingham penalty area. The 49th minute of the game saw what was to be the best chance of the game when Tony Cunningham just beat Nick Hewlett to the ball causing Hewlett to bring down the Sherborne attacker, the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot, up stepped Marc Caines whose weak effort to the keepers left was easily saved by Sam Filkins in the Gillingham goal. This didn’t deter Sherborne however and they kept pushing the home side back forcing a host of corners that were to come to nothing for the visitors.Caines frustration go the better of him in the 53rd minute and he picked up a caution for dissent.
Both Managers tried to shake the game up in the 72nd minute Sherborne sending on Elliott Mann for Steve Friend and Gillingham sending on Morgan and Hodges for Smith and Rodriguez however there was little either side did as both defences stood firm as the midfield boys battled it out for supremacy, Sam Farthing picked up a late caution for persistent infringement. Beal saved comfortably in the dying moments from a close range Lewis Morgan effort and the referee bought a halt to proceedings soon after.
A tight game with little real goalmouth action but there was always something in it to keep the spectators interested and on the balance of play a draw was a fair result although Sherborne will be the more disappointed having missed the penalty. Man of the Match went to Adam Barratt with strong showing form Montacute,Winsper and Farthing inparticular.