Home Match vs Shepton Mallet FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 2 April 2016


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


3-4 (Home Defeat)


Harry Montacute

Match Report

Sherborne were looking to extend their unbeaten run to 6 games when the welcomed an out of form Shepton Mallet side to Raleigh Grove.Luke Winsper was back in the starting line-up and there was a place on the bench for new signing from Gillingham Town Alexandre Stafie. 
The game kicked off in bright sunshine but a strong wind blowing down the ground and in Sherbornes favour. The home side were soon putting the Shepton Mallet defence under extreme pressure mainly for the long throws of Harry Montacute that they were struggling to deal with.Sherborne took the lead in the 10th minute when a fierce drive form Pete Ireland was only parried by Jamie Rothwell in the visitors goal to Tony Cunningham who made no mistake from the edge of the area.
Shepton almost got back on level terms soon through a James Billing header following a corner but he couldn’t direct it on target, however the same player did find the target moments later being the first to react to a shot that had rebounded off the post to 1-1 21 minutes played. This spurred the visitors into greater efforts Ben Lacey sent in a fine cross that Harry Ritchie could only head just wide of the goal. Sherborne Kris Hastings picked up a caution in the 26th for a rash challenge, not an overly bad tackle but more the referee trying to keep order to the game.
Sherborne restored their lead in the 28th minute and it was no surprise that it came from a Harry Montacute throw that found the head of James Billing who could only head into his own net under heavy pressure. Two became three moments and an almost exact replica of the second goal this time the ball dropped at the near post where Nick Jacobs was on hand to add the finishing touch.
Shepton almost got back into the game on the stroke of half time following a goal mouth scramble from a corner that saw a shot hit the post.
The second half started with the visitors on the front foot as the Sherborne defence retreated further and further towards their own goaline Ben Cleverley sent a fine ball through to Jordan Townsley but his shot was well saved by Jamie Beale.The alarm bells were ringing for the home side.Tyson Pollard sent an effort just wide from distance and Lee Sweet headed over form a long throw in. It was all Shepton at this stage and the goal they had been threatening finally came in copy cat fashion a long thro that Sherborne couldn’t clear leaving Jordano Townsley the simple task of firing his side back into the game in the 80th minute.
Luke Winsper picked up a caution for dissent and Steve Burton for a foul as the frustrations of the home side began to show.
The 85th minute saw the equaliser come, a long clearance down the touchline found Jordan Townley  who controlled and sent a great shot flying past Jamie Beale,much to the disbelief of the home supporters who couldn’t quite believe what they were seeing Shepton Mallet secured what was an unlikely victory at the half way stage through an outstanding bit of skill form substitute Alex Russell who found the ball at his feet to unleash another outstanding effort for all of 35 yards past Beale, a goal that a bit part reporter like me cannot do justice to in type! 
The referee bought a close to proceedings soon after and it was a dejected Sherborne who trudged away not quite believing how they lost the game from such a commanding position. I can’t recall Rothwell making a save in the Shepton goal in the second half as his side totally dominated the Zebras.
Sherborne Town:Beale,Ireland,Jacobs,Hastings,Burton,Winsper,Mann,Montacute,Cunningham,Farthing,Barratt.