Home Match vs Gillingham Town FC (TWLPD)


Friday 25 March 2016


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


2-1 (Home Win)


Ginger Pele

Match Report

A bumper crowd of 286 turned out on a gloriously sunny good Friday to witness the Real Dorset El-Classico between Sherborne Town and Gillingham Town.Sherborne were forced into a late change bringing in Jason Bond for the injured Steve Burton as were Gillingham who were forced into an even later one when Ben Cochrane pulled up during the pre-match warm up.
Gillingham almost got off to a perfect start in the first minute when a through ball almost sent Phil Ormrod through on goal but for a well-timed Harry Montacute intervention.Sherborne failed to settle in the early stages and allowed their visitors to pile the pressure on their own defence which was well marshalled by Kris Hastings and Harry Monacute.A succession of free kicks awarded to Gillingham were ably dealt with by the Sherborne rearguard.Gillinghams best player on the day Aaron Rodriguez went on a good run in the 10th minute setting up Smeeton who shot narrowly over the crossbar.
The home side began to get themselves into the game around the 15 minute mark Marc Caine sans Sam Farthing combined well only for Caines to shoot wide.Nic Jacobs also getting in to the game with some surging runs down the wing. The pressure told on Gillingham in the 21st minutes again Marc Caines was involved hitting a cross/shot into the area that only the inform Kris Hastings was alive to living up to his committee title of “The Ginger Pele” by reacting first, controlling the ball and slotting it past Sam Filkins.
This spurred the visitors into greater efforts but their passing was often going astray or thwarted by Sherborne hard working midfield who refused to let them settle on the ball Sam Farthing and Adam Barratt in particular working tirelessly for the team.
Elliot Mann tested Filkins in the 39th minute but the Gill gloveman was well up to the task saving well turning a ball over for a Sherborne corner which Mann delivered well to the head of Jacobs who headed over when well placed. Gillingham piled on the pressure in the closing stages of the half Lewis Morgan had a couple of close range efforts blocked inside the side yard area by Jason Bond and Hayden Brown.
The second half started with Gillingham pressing, Lewis Morgan sent in a free kick that just eluded the unmarked Phil Ormrod.My notes say the half started a little flat with neither side creating anything then the second goal came.Sherborne Manager Jamie Manley substituted Steve Friend bringing on Tony Cunningham in his place two minutes later the Zebras doubled their lead, Elliott Mann again delivering a quality corner that “Ginger Pele” headed goalwards only for Sam Filkins to make a good save palming the ball away, Tony Cunningham with his first touch of the game controlled the ball well and passed it into the net to double the lead only two minutes after coming on….now if you ask the Manager he will tell you it was an inspired substitution but he truth is our friend “Frendo” never plays 90 minutes so his time was up anyway .
Gillingham reacted well to falling further behind but their final ball was often lacking. Aaron Rodriguez tested Beale who saved at the second time of asking.Farthing as industrious as ever earnt talking to from the match referee Mr Ogles who controlled the game well throughout the afternoon managing the game and the players with dialogue rather than cards. Steve Smith had a powerful header saved by Beale as it began to look like Gillingham wouldn’t score if they played all day until…..a long hopeful punt forward was misjudged by Jamie(sorry lads)Beale who fumbled it into the path of Harry Baker who with a bit still to do controlled well and smashed it into the net to make the score 2-1 with 13 minutes left to play.
The goal was just the lift the Gills needed and it was a nervous last 15 minutes for Sherborne who in all fairness but for a Lewis Morgan free kick saw the game out well. Jamie Beale redeemed himself with a superb save in the 86th minute Aaron Rodriquez producing some fine football before unleashing a tremendous shot for the edge of the area the home custodian turned round the post.
Full time and it was a very happy home crowd who have endured some tough times this year. A game not of the highest quality but a performance from Sherborne full of grit and determination that showed they wanted it more on the day than their visitors who had been on a fine run of form of late. Man of the Match could have gone to anyone of the Sherborne starting eleven who all put in a good shift but it goes to Kris Hastings who had a hand in both goals.