Away Match vs Wellington FC (LP Cup)


Saturday 10 October 2015


Les Phillips Cup 2015/16


0-1 (Away Win)


Tony Cunningham

Match Report

On the back of four straight league defeats Sherborne travelled to Wellington for this Les Phillips league cup fixture looking to build some confidence and put their losing streak behind them, again Manager Manleys team selection was hampered by the injuries of Marc Caines and George Mapletoft alongside Ben Cochrane having to sit out due to a suspension picked up for his unfortunate sending off at Barnstaple, Back in the side were Jason Bond,Harry Mntacute and Elliott Mann.
The game kicked off with Wellington playing down the slope and they were soon putting the Sherborne defence under some pressure, Jordan Mace sent in a decent cross that saw Jack Bryants glancing header go just wide.
It took Sherborne fifteen minutes to register their first shot on goal, a quickly taken George Bennett free kick gave Harry Montacute the opportunity to try his luck from distance but his weak strike went straight into the arms of Mitch Woodgate in the home goal.
In what was a poor game chances from either side were hard to come by, the best effort of the half fell to Wellington whose shot on goal forced Bond to clear off his own goal line.
Sherborne started the second half much brighter Cunningham set up Haydn Hodges whose volley flew into the arms of a grateful Mitchell, moments later Mann was put through but lacked the composure required and fired well wide of the target. Sherborne were almost made to pay for their wastefulness when Carl Jones had a free header at the far post that Beale was forced to tip over his own crossbar.
Jason Bond then picked up a needless booking with a rash tackle on 58 minutes as frustrations were beginning to surface, Sam Farthing also earnt a caution for clipping Mitchell as he collected the ball in his own area.
Sherborne continued to press and Cunningham was again the link man setting up the oncoming substitute Steve Friend who fluffed his lines failing to control the ball with only the goalkeeper to beat. Just as it looked like the game was going to go into extra time Sherborne found the key to finally unlock the Wellington defence and again it was Tony Cunningham who was instrumental setting up the chance picking up a fine pass from Bennett to feed Haydn Hodges who made no mistake in firing passed an exposed Mitchell to give the visitors a 87th minute lead.
Wellington were not finished and Beale was again forced into smart save, turning over a fierce drive from the edge of the area, from the resulting corner a goalmouth scramble ensued before the ball was cleared and the referee blew for full time.
Finally a win for Sherborne although it has to be said a poor game of football that neither side will look back on with any great pleasure.
Hodges. Subs:Friend,Rowe,J.Manley.