Home Match vs Buckland Athletic FC (TWLPD)


Wednesday 26 August 2015


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


1-3 (Home Defeat)


Liam Norris

Match Report

Sherborne welcomed early season pace setters Buckland Athletic looking to put Saturdays poor performance against Cribbs behind them knowing at the same time that Buckland were going to be a tough nut to crack.Harry Montacute was available and made his first start of the season,Marc Caines was unavailable due to work commitments.
The game kicked off with Buckland immediately on the offensive Jared Lewington sting Liam Norris’ hand in the 10th minute, Sherborne were by no means restricted and playing with a strong wind in their favour had their fair share of pressure Tony Cunningham unlucky with a shot form distance.
The opening goal came from Sherborne in the 16th minute after a tidy bit of midfield play saw the ball fed out to Nick Jacobs who sent in a fine ball across the face of goal where Elliott Mann was lurking to prod the ball past Grant Fisher in the visitors goal. Sherborne continued to have a good spell of pressure Bucklands Lewis Perring picked up a caution for kicking out at Mann.
Buckland were not without chances and broke well at time playing some good football using their speedy wingers to great effect Norris was called into action to pull off a fine save form the dangerous Hammon and then Lewington.As the half faded Mann was in on the action again this time for the wrong reasons as he picked up a caution for kicking the ball away.The visitors had one final chance on the half time whistle when a great ball into the area found Hammon whose flicked header was just over Norris’ crossbar.
The second half started with Buckland pinning Sherborne back deep in their own territory Norris was forced into a fine save from a fierce Hammon strike  on 4 minutes but could do nothing a moment later when a through ball form Liam Head found Hammon in one on one with Norris and this time he made no mistake rounding the keeper to slot into an empty net 1-1.
The games main talking point came on 67 minute when some Sherborne pressure saw the ball rebound off the post to Mann who hit a shot across goal that struck a hand along the way, with the gathered Sherborne support behind the goal begging the referee to blow his whistle and award a penalty the referee was non-plussed and played continued which saw Buckland break quickly with fast flowing football which led to Lewington drawing another top save from Norris who was having another fine match.
Unfortunately for Sherborne Buckland had their tails up now and took the lead minutes later when Lewington rose the highest to head home a Lloyd Gardner corner 2-1 69 minutes played,2-1 became 3-1 a minute later when Dan Griffiths went on a solo run and set up Hammon who fired past Norris as the Bucks threatened to run riot. Norris had to be at his best again as Gardner went on a solo mazy run leading to a strike at goal that the Sherborne keeper did well to turn around the post.
To their credit Sherborne kept battling and finished the game in the Buckland penalty area substitute and debutant George Bennet being unlucky with a freekick that was deflected wide.
Full time came and it was a disappointed Sherborne side that trudged off the Raleigh Grove pitch that had stood up well given the downpours of the previous days, it was a much improved performance against a very good Buckland side who went back to the top of the table after their win and on this performance will certainly be there or there abouts come the end of the season.