Home Match vs Bemerton Heath Harlequins FC (FA Vase)


Saturday 5 September 2015


FA Vase 2015/16


Sherborne Town 1st


2-3 (Home Defeat)

Match Report

Following Sherborne’s inability to start games well in recent weeks the Management team decided to mix things up for this FA Vase fixture against Salisbury based Bemerton Heath Harlequins which included getting the players to the ground early for a pre-match meal of Beans on Toast. Back from their brief stay at Gillingham were Haydn Hodges and Ben Cochrane, Haydn won a starting place in the line-up whilst Ben had to make due with a place on the bench. Also returning was central defender Jonny Manley, Aaron White making way for him and the surprise of the day was Tony Cunningham starting front with Elliott Mann taking his place on the bench.
The match got underway and initially it seemed the beans on toast plan had worked a treat,Sherborne started brightly playing some good football along the way although the first real chance of note fell to Bemertons Jack Slade who drove a great shot against Liam Norris’ crossbar.This stirred the Zebras into even greater effort and they took the lead moments later Haydn Hodges looking lively on his return was fed by Simon Hanlon, Hodges steadied himself looked up and sent a ball to the far post where Marc Caines was lurking to tuck the ball away 1-0 14 minutes played.Sherborne continued to dominate Hanlon sent a great ball to the far edge of the penalty area to set up Nick Jacobs who tried his luck with a volley which threated the cars in the car park more than the Bemerton goal! Steve Burton and Marc Caines then combined to great effect setting up Tony Cunningham who made no mistake from six yard to double Sherborne’s lead in the 28th minute.
Things were looking rosy for the home side and they looked in total control of the match with Bemerton threatening very little until they got a head of steam up as the half was coming to a climax, the Sherborne defence were given a warning following a corner Jack Slade rose well and should have done better than to head over from six yards out, this warning however was not heeded and Bemerton got themselves back into the game in the 43rd minute Jack Lovell getting on the end of a cross to slot passed Norris.
The second half was a completely different story then the first as Bemerton scored within a minute Liam Norris failing to deal with a corner left Slade to head back over him to put the visitors level.Bemerton continued to dominate the half playing long balls forward with the wind at their backs that the Sherborne rear-guard were struggling to deal with. Norris was called into action saving well form Slade in the 57th minute, Graham Mankin was the next Bemerton player to try his luck as the visitors had a succession of corners.
The home side barely troubled their opponents on the second period only a corner in the 76th minute bought respite from the onslaught, almost inevitably Bemerton got themselves a deserved lead in the 83rd minute again a cross was not dealt with and Graham Mankin was the first in a que of Bemerton players to rise and nod the ball home.
Sherborne had little time to get themselves back into the game and the referee bought proceedings to a close soon after.
Another disappointing loss for Sherborne who are struggling to put a solid 90 minutes in at the moment leaving the management team with much to ponder during the week as they face unbeaten Bitton next Saturday as they get back to Toolstation league action