Home Match vs Cadbury Heath FC (LP Cup)


Saturday 14 November 2015


Les Phillips Cup 2015/16


Sherborne Town 1st


1-2 (Home Defeat)


Harry Montacute

Match Report

An all to familiar story for Manager Jamie Manley was the host of unavailable players for this Les Phillips Cup First Round fixture against Cadbury Heath,Mann and Burton had picked up injuries whilst Caines,Cunningham,Winsper,Wood and Friend were all unavailable for selection meaning the attacking options for Sherborne were depleted, in came Hobbs,Carney,White and Ireland with Manager Manley and Ngema taking places on the substitutes bench.
Before the match kicked off there was an impeccably observed one minutes silence to pay respect to those who lost their lives in the terrible events in Paris.
There was an even start to the game that kicked off in high winds on a slippery but surprisingly firm Raleigh Grove surface, Sherborne were the first to threaten gaining an early corner which was comfortably dealt with by the Cadbury defence.
Cadbury Heath then got into their stride Simon McElory was caught offside when in a threatening position, the first real chance of the game fell again to McElrory this time he latched on to a long ball after Jonny Manley had slipped but could only watch as his attempted lob went well over Jamie Beales crossbar, two minutes later he was again in on goal after a quick throw in but dragged his shot wide much to the frustration of his management team.
The first goal came in the 28th minute following a George Boon corner that was met by Matt Britton whose glancing header flew past Beale.Harry Paice then almost double the visitors lead only to see his shot well saved by Beale, moments later Manley was indebted to the Sherborne keeper along with Ben Cochrane when a poor back pass saw the Cadbury attacker in on goal a fine save and block between them saved the day.
Sherborne drew level on the stroke of half time, Jamie Beale releasing the ball quickly which was picked up by Haydn Hodges who carried the ball forwards before sending in a cross that Harry Montacute got on the end of to fire the ball past Tom Drewitt in the Cadbury goal.
The second half got underway with few chances created by either side, Cadbury Heath were playing the better football getting the ball into wide areas causing the Sherborne defence all kinds of problems but they stood firm as a unit protecting Beales goal, their best chance came in the 58th minute when McElory crossed for Jamie Horgan who should have done better than to fire the ball across Beales goal and wide of the post.
Sherborne Captain of the day Harry Monacute was working hard in the middle of the pitch cajoling his team mates into greater efforts and nearly snatched his team the victory at the death sending a great strike goal ward that drew the best out of Drewitt who flung himself to his left and palm the ball around the post.
The match was to be decided in extra time which again saw few clear cut chances for either side Monacute saw a fierce strike turned over the crossbar by Drewitt and Jamie Beale produced an outstanding reflex save to turn Cadbury Heath substitute and prolific goal scorer Matt Huxleys header over the cross bar.
The second period of extra time saw Pete Ireland set up a great chance for Sam Farthing whose weak shot was comfortably dealt with by Drewitt.The goal that was to win the game came from Matt Huxley who got on the end of a cross to send a looping header over Beale and into the Sherborne goal and through to the next round of the competition, which on the balance of play       no one could argue with.
A much improved performance from Sherborne following their disappointing midweek defeat, picking a man of the match was difficult and could have gone to anyone of the back four but just pipping them was Harry Montacute who worked tirelessly in the middle of the park to keep his team going and was involved in most things in the attacking third.