Away Match vs Cadbury Heath FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 11 October 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2014/15


Sherborne Town 1st


4-3 (Away Defeat)

Match Report

Sherborne travelled to Cadbury Heath looking to build on their FA Vase victory over New Milton Town and improve their league form that hasn’t seen a win in six outings. Lewis Morgan was out injured due to the broken wrist he sustained last week in came Sam Jarman to replace him.

The match started in torrential rain and it was Cadbury Heath who looked the brighter side in the early exchanges all though flowing football was at a premium as both side struggled in the wet conditions. Day had the first chance but hit his shot wide  and Montacute was unlucky watching his shot strike the crossbar.

Sherborne took the lead on the quarter hour following a succession of corners a goalmouth scramble ensue and it look like Ormrod poked the ball home although it took the assistant referee to award it as a defender cleared it from just over the line 1-0 Sherborne.

Not for the first time this season or the match as it would unfold Sherborne shot themselves in the foot defensively as a ball played forward was sliced by Mapletoft to allow the on rushing attacker to bear down on Beales goal and slot home to level the scores on 19 minutes.

Sherborne then rallied and chances fell to Ormrod,Jarman and Day but all were squandered as it looked like confidence was a factor for the Zebras, Cadbury finished the half the stronger although they couldn’t find the final ball to trouble Beale.

The second half started the opposite to the first, in blazing sunshine and it was Cadbury Heath who totally dominated as Sherborne struggled to keep any kind of possession. The lead their dominance deserved came in the 52nd minute when a shot across goal was parried by the sprawling Beale only for the ball to fall to the Cadbury striker who gladly tucked it into an empty net for a deserved lead 2-1.

Sherborne slowly crawled their way into the half and looked like they could get back into the game although they couldn’t trouble the home custodian who rumour had it around the ground was both injured and hadn’t played for a while.

It looked like the game was put out of reach of Sherborne in the 73rd minute when Smeeton was harshly judged to have handled the ball inside the penalty area when he had little chance of avoiding it having been stood only yards from the striker hitting the ball at pace, after the protest had died down it was duly despatched to give the Bristol outfit a 3-1 lead.

The visitors rallied once more and when Ormrod found himself free inside the penalty area he made no mistake striking past the keeper to give the visitors a lifeline 77 minutes played 3-2.Ten minute later it looked like Sherborne had snatched an unlikely point as Montacute picked up a loose ball on mid-way in his opponents half and although his shot was not cleanly struck the home custodian couldn’t handle it and fumbled the ball over the line 3-3 with 3 minutes left to play.

How Sherborne then proceeded to gift Cadbury Heath a winner will have left the management team let alone the traveling supporters looking on in disbelief, Hodges misplaced a pass in the middle of the pitch and one ball later Montacute was left defending a two on one situation which he could prevent the ball being played across the gaol for Cadbury to poke past an exposed Beale 4-3 and they couldn’t believe their luck.

The final whistle soon followed and it was a dejected team that trudged off no doubt to feel the wrath on the management team who were as frustrated as the supporters, how Sherborne could lose the game from getting back on level terms with three minutes to play was naïve in the extreme.


Ormrod. Subs-Friend,Cochrane,Caines.