Home Match vs Cadbury Heath FC (TWLPD)


Wednesday 19 March 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


3-1 (Home Win)


Sam Farthing

Match Report

Sherborne welcomed Cadbury Heath to Raleigh Grove looking to build on their 3 match unbeaten run against a team they had comprehensively beaten a month earlier in the Les Phillips Cup.Gary Bowles was back in the starting line up after recovering from injury, James Thompson was also in the starting eleven, whilst the returning Sam Jarman took a place on the bench following a successful 90 minutes with the reserves on Satuday.Missing were Steve Burton due to an ankle injury picked up at Slimbridge on Saturday and Ollie Wake.
As the game got underway it was soon apparent that this Cadbury Heath side were not the side we had played a month earlier, they looked lively early on playing some neat passing football whilst working hard of the ball for each other, plenty of possession was had but no real chances were created as the midfielders battled for the upper hand. 
Sherbornes usual goal threats of Caines and Day both had half chances although neither tested the visiting keeper Freeman. Heath had a corner in the ninth minute that Sherborne were lucky to escape from as they gained a free kick for a foul that only the referee saw. The home side were not playing their usual passing football but were still well in the game, Freeman making a great save from a Binding  shot and Day had Freeman scrabbling with an effort just wide of the post moments later. 
Cadbury then enjoyed their best spell of the game firstly having a goal disallowed for a push following a corner on 25 minutes then a minute later taking the lead after Montacute tried unsuccessfully to sheppard the ball out of play the chasing attacker managed to poke the ball back for a shot on goal which Smith got down well to save only for Heath to poke the rebound home 1-0 down and a poor goal to concede. 
Sherborne almost got straight back into the game after Binding won a free kick 25 yards out up stepped Bowles whose superb strike smashed the upright before going to safety.In a topsy turvy game Heath were next to break surging forward with men to spare they made great strides into the Sherborne area before wastefully shooting over.They were made to pay for this on 40 minutes when Binding fed Caines out wide who cut inside to curl a great shot past the despairing dive of Freeman to level the scores going in at half time. 
The second half started as cagey as the first Cadbury Heath were on the front foot early on forcing a corner which they couldn't make use of.The rest of the half belonged to Sherborne as they got their passing game together Binding, Morgan, Farthing and Bowles all playing their part in getting Sherborne on the ascendancy.Manger Manly must take some credit(hard to type that) for a substitution on 57 minutes bringing on Jarman to replace Jacobs.Jarmen hit the floor running playing a great ball through to Caines who burst past the defender before screwing his shot wide of the post with Freeman well beaten. 
The turning point of the match came in spectacular style from of the quick feet of Bowles who in the 74th minute picked up a loose ball in the middle of the park and preceded to ghost past defender after defender before hitting an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net that Heaths Freeman never got anywhere near, a certain contender for goal of the season and certainly enjoyed by supporters and player alike.This knocked the stuffing out of the visitors as Sherborne piled forward with a renewed confidence Jarman being instrumental in some neat passing exchanges in the opponents half. 
The third goal came about following more good football, Day took a quick throw in to the feet of Farthing who played a neat ball into Jarman who fed Caines with a deft pass, Caines showed great strength surging  past the defender to poke the ball home 3-1 and the game was effectively over.Sherborne made their third and final substitution as they looked to see the game out Bond Coming on for Montacute who had a great second half. 
Cadburys last chance came from a free kick central on the edge of the Sherborne area and after the wall was sent back the full ten yards Heath wasted the opportunity blasting the ball over an untroubled Smith.The referee called a halt to proceedings shortly after and Sherborne came off deserved winners 3-1 a result that sees them climb one place up the table. 
Man of the match: Sam Farthing 
Sherborne:J Smith,J Thompson,H Montacute,S Farthing,B Cochrane,G Bowles,H Binding,L Morgan,M Caines,M Day,N Jacobs. Subs S Friend,S Jarman,J Bond,T Cunningham,M Locke 
Cadbury Heath:D Freeman,C Astley,L Maloney,C Whooley,L Dempsey,J Cowley,J Camm,N Churchill,S Tong,M Huxley,D Abraham. Subs S Abraham,T Ware,A Black.