Away Match vs Parley Sports FC (DS Trophy)


Saturday 13 November 2010


Dorset Senior Trophy 2010/11


1-4 (Away Win)


George Warr

Match Report

Sherborne Town Reserves' class shone through as Parley Sports Reserves as the Dorset Senior Trophy visitors secured safe progression despite an early scare.

Jason Lock's Magna Dorset Premier League men had to battle from behind against their Bournemouth Hayward Saturday League hosts, eventually winning 4-1.

Stuart Sweatman continued his purple patch in front of goal to equalise before Dwayne Forshaw and Nathan Geary forged Sherborne ahead before the break. Tony Cunningham, making his second return from a recurrent groin and hip problem, completed the scoring.

Lock said: "It was far from as straightforward as the score suggests but the class showed in the end. The pitch was flat but muddy and tacky in places.

"We stuck to our task and they were a tough side. After going behind we took the game to them, which was difficult on a sticky pitch where Parley were tackling hard, which we expected."

Craig Dabinett's misfortune allowed Parley to open the scoring with a goal that would deny stand-in keeper George Warr a deserved clean sheet.

Sherborne responded through Sweatman and Aden Wills as the latter picked out his striker with a well-weighted chip, allowing him to round the keeper and draw level.

On 37 minutes the away team survived another scare as a clearance hit the net via Chris Hedges' head only for the 'goal' to be ruled out for offside.

Forshaw gave Sherborne the lead with a whipped corner on 42 minutes that beat the flapping keeper to drop in at the far post. Geary extended the advantage moments later with a errant 18-yard pass that trickled over the line.

Goal number four was only a matter of time away as Parley were restricted to counter-attacks. Fifteen minutes before time Sherborne were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box, which Cunningham curled home with his left foot.

The victors still had time to miss a penalty when Shane Adcock Case reacted first to a loose ball in the box, only to be grounded by a waist-high tackle from the keeper. The former Gillingham Town man dusted himself off to take the spot kick but saw his effort saved.

Lock said: "We went in at half time 3-1 up and as we expected Parley came at us hammer and tongs. We defended resolutely and everybody worked their socks off and we knew the winner was coming.

"Man of the match has to go to George. He turned up and was going to be on the substitutes' bench but Paul Dalmasso put his name forward to go in goal.

"His kicking was sound, he dominated his 18-yard box, he saved a couple of shots and he threw himself at the ball. I was very pleased with George."


Sherborne Town Reserves: George Warr, Chris Hedges, Jason Bond, Craig Dabinett, Nathan Geary, Shane Adcock Case, Dwayne Forshaw, Aden Wills, Paul Dalmasso, Stuart Sweatman, Tony Cunningham. Subs: Neil Budden, Matt Ward, Jack Burnett.