Home Match vs Bridport FC (FA Cup)


Wednesday 2 September 2015


FA Cup 2015/16


0-1 (Home Defeat)


Harry Montacute

Match Report

Sherborne made two changes for this FA Cup Preliminary round replay,Jonny Manley and the fit again Aaron White came in for George Bennett who had to be content with a place on the bench and the unavailable Simon Hanlon.The feeling amongst the 165 gathered supporters was that the game was going to be very tight and the odd goal would decide the tie.
As on Saturday it was Bridport who settled quickest although they were struggling to break down the Sherborne defence well marshalled by Harry Montacute indeed the first real chance of the game fell to Marc Caines who got on the end of a Montacute long throw to send an overhead quick straight into the arms of the Bridport keeper Ashley Weeks.
Bridport retaliated through Darren Watts who broke into the Sherborne area to fire a shot at Liam Norris’ who was forced to beat the ball away from his near post. Elliott Mann was next to try his luck for Sherborne beating the offside trap well to send in a smart drive that Weeks turned around the post for a corner.
The last action of the first half saw Sherborne defender Chris Hastings surge through the middle of the park and send a smart toe poke towards goal that had Weeks scrambling to tip over his crossbar.
Sherborne made a half time change Tony Cunningham coming on for George Bennett and settled much better  although chances were few and far between form either side.Bridport were briefly unsettled on 58 minutes when they lost Chris Senior who had to be substituted after a clash of head with Nick Jacobs.
The second half sprung to life when Sherborne won a penalty on 76 minutes after Ryan Haytor made a rash challenge on Marc Caines,Caines dusted himself down and stepped up to rifle the spot kick against the crossbar.
As the game was heading for extra time Bridport had Sherborne pinned in their own half forcing a successive corners as the home support held their breath. Sherborne did carve out one last chance on 89 minutes when Mann found himself in space on the edge of the area, after a couple of touches he drove a shot into the near post of Weeks’ goal Week made a fine save finger tipping the ball onto the inside of his near post, the home support could only watch in agony as the ball drifted along the goalline and then out of play.
Extra time proved to be Liam Norris against the Bridport attack,Norris had to make some fantastic save to keep his side in the tie most notably form Warren Byerley from point blank range.The hearts of the home side were finally broken in the 117 minute Shane Evans whipped in a great cross that was put on a plate for Gary Bulman to tap past Norris to send the away players support and Management into delirium  and the home side into a stunned silence.
With little time to get back into the game the referees whistle soon blew to signal time and the Zebras exit form this years FA Cup.
Good luck to Bridport in the next round where they will face Larkhall Athletic at St Marys.