Away Match vs Bridport FC (FA Cup)


Saturday 29 August 2015


FA Cup 2015/16


3-3 (Away Draw)


Elliott Mann

Match Report

Sherborne travelled to Bridport for this FA Cup looking for a return to form having suffered back to back league defeats. Jonny Manley was unavailable, in came George Bennet for his first start of the season, Marc Caines also returned to the starting line-up replacing the unavailable Tony Cunningham.
The game started in scrappy fashion with neither side settling into any pattern of play, this was turned on it,s head in the 8th minute when first a strike from distance from Bridports Chris Senior was deflected just over by Warren Byerley who was lurking on the edge of the six yard area. This gave Bridport the initiative and moments later a fine cross from Clarke found Byerley at the far post, this time he made no mistake heading home to give the Bees a 1-0 lead.
Going behind shook Sherborne into action and they responded immediately when the ball was driven out wide to Nick Jacobs who worked his way to the by-line and sent a great cross to the far post where the smallest man on the pitch Elliot Mann rose unchallenged to head home to draw Sherborne level.
Chris senior then had a great chance from a corner but couldn’t direct his header on target, Briport continued to carve out the batter chances as the Sherborne midfield struggled to get into the game and they took the lead for a second time when Gary Bulman pounced on a ball driven across the box knocking past an exposed Norris.
Marc Caines was unlucky to see his shot from the edge of the area flash just wide of Ashley Weeks goal on 42 minutes and from the resulting goal kick Bridport were awarded a penalty as Darran Watts was fouled as he entered the penalty area, Sam Farthing picking up a caution for the challenge having previously been warned, up stepped Byerley who confidently despatched the spot kick past Norris to send his side in at half time with a 3-1 lead. Sherborne left the pitch looking a beaten side as they had struggle dot get themselves into the game for any sustained periods of time.
Whatever the Sherborne Management team said at half time had an almost immediate effect as they looked a much better proposition and got themselves back into the game on 52 minutes when Weeks failed to hold onto the ball under pressure from the Sherborne attack, Mann was lurking on the edge of the area to strike the loose ball home with confidence.
The zebras tails were well and truly up and they got themselves the equaliser in fine style when Steve Burton fed the ball out wide to Caines who made his way into the penalty area cut inside the defender and curled a great strike past Weeks and inside the far post.
If anybody was going to go on and win the game it now looked likely to be Sherborne as they were playing much the better football although Bridport were still dangerous on the break and a superb run from Senior who was allowed to run unchallenged bought a fine save form Norris as he struck a low shot destined for the corner of the Sherborne net.
The match was bought to a conclusion and it was difficult to tell who the happier side was Bridport must have thought they had a foot into the next round at half time as Sherborne looked second best but a great second half display earnt the Zebras a replay at Raleigh Grove next Wednesday evening at Raleigh Grove Kick Off 7.30
Sherborne:Norris,Hastings,Mapletoft,Bennet,Montacute,Burton Hanlon,Farthing,Caines,Mann,Jacobs.