Away Match vs Bridport FC (TWLPD)


Tuesday 30 September 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2014/15


Sherborne Town 1st


3-2 (Away Defeat)

Match Report

Sherborne travelled to their Dorset neighbours Bridport looking to earn only their third league win of the season.Marc Caines was unavailable in came Sam Jarman to replace him.Ben Cochrane was out injured who was replaced by Sam Farthing.

The game kicked off and it was Sherborne who looked the brighter in the very early stages, Nick Jacobs has the first effort of the game but could only find the safety netting behind the goal. Sam Jarman then latched on to a Morgan through ball only to be thwarted by the assistants’ flag for being in an offside position. That was as good as it got for the Zebras in the early stages as Bridport began to grow into the game.

Bridport had a run of corners as they exerted more and more pressure on the Sherborne defence however Bridport could not believe there luck in what followed next and it can only be labelled as calamitous Symmes was tracking his way across the box and as he scuffed his shot there appeared to be little danger as the ball rolled towards the Sherborne goal, however a call of “safe” from Mapletoft left Smith sure it was going wide only for the Sherborne shot stopper to watch in disbelief as it crept into the corner of the net 1-0 Bridport six minutes gone.

The goal set Sherborne back and Burtons frustration got the better of him as he wiped out pacey winger Morley to earn himself a caution that no one in the ground could dispute! This was followed by more Bridport pressure as they looked to build on their fortuitous lead.Which they duly did in the 21st minute when my Bridport Man of the Match Filkins crossing for Dovell to rise and head past Smith who despite getting a hand on the ball couldn’t keep it out 2-0 Bridport.

This finally stirred Sherborne and they went on the offensive looking for a way back into the game which they got when Evans bought down Jarman just inside the penalty area, the referee duly pointed to the spot and up stepped Ormrod who drove the ball into the net via the hand of Weeks who was unlucky not to keep it out 2-1 28 minutes played.

The half petered out with both sides battling for the upper hand with little football being played by both sides but plenty of challenges going in as the game threatened to boil over but never quite did.

The second half started as the first had ended, very patchy with not a lot of chances being created by both sides, indeed Bridports first chance of the half came from a poor clearance from Smith who sliced the ball to Byerley who unbelievably shot over the ball when he could probably have walked the ball into the net! This however spurned the host on and Smith was forced to make a great save moments later. The bees were dominating proceedings at this point and some ping pong in the Sherborne area was causing mayhem but the ball was eventually cleared. However they soon got the goal there passage of play deserved on 61 minutes when that man Dovell again rose from a cross to notch his second headed goal of the game.

Sherborne to their credit never gave up and continued to look for a way back into the game and they eventually found it through Jarman who rose in the middle of the penalty area to power a header past Weeks in the 77th minutes 3-2..…game on!

Bridport saw the final ten minutes out with relative ease as for all Sherborne’s efforts they never had the final ball to trouble the home side who put their bodies on the line to get the result they probably deserved at the final whistle.

Sherborne will be bitterly disappointed in the manner of their defeat, you can’t give any team in this division a two goal head start and expect to get anything out of the game which was made worse by the way the goals were conceded.

Next up sees the visit of Wessex League Division One side New Milton Town at Raleigh Grove this Saturday in the FA Vase.