Away Match vs Bridport FC (DS Cup)


Tuesday 29 October 2013


Dorset Senior Cup 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


3-2 (Away Defeat)


Matt Day

Match Report

Sherborne Town travelled to Bridport for this Dorset Senior Cup fixture for the second time this season having already achieved success in the league 2-1.There were selection problems for Jamie ahead of the game with players be unavailable for varying reason mainly in the goalkeeping department where centre half Ben Cochrane found himself with the number one jersey. 
The first half got underway with Bridport starting the brighter side coming closest to scoring after eight minutes and again on 15 when Sherborne gave away a needless corner to put themselves under pressure.It took Sherborne 20 minutes to get into the game and it was the lively Matt Day who was to cause Bridport problems all night with his lightning pace and silky touches first knocking a ball through that just evaded Binding and then going through on his own but snatching his shot wide. 
Bridport then picked up the first of what was to be a plethora of cautions on the night when their number two couldn't cope with Days apce and was forced to bring him down, unfortunately the free kick was wasted.The referee then started to give us a taste of what was to come when he ignored his assistant referee who was frantically flagging for a Sherborne free kick much to the away sides annoyance. 
Sherborne  took the lead on 40 minutes in fine style when they broke at pace leaving Binding to set Day away down the left wing, Day cut inside and sent an unstoppable shot into the net.... cue joyous celebrations and a sing song from his teammates. 
A lack lustre first half came to a conclusion with Parkinson a sub on the Sherborne bench giving the referee the benefit of his wisdom which he took exception to and hoisted the second yellow card of the evening in his direction. 
The second half got underway at a frantic pace with first Sherborne going close from a corner that fizzed across the box. Bridport were then gifted the chance to get back into the game when a poor clearance from Cochrane was snaffled up  Morley whose shot was well saved by Cochrane but unfortunately the rebound was snaffled up by the alert Luke on as a sub who poked the ball home with his first touch 1-1 game on. 
The heavens then opened up and the game continued in torrential rain which must have upset the referee who then took centre stage with a whole host of cautions on the field and dismissals from the bench.Sherbornes Clark entered the book on 69 minutes for a foul, next up was Friend on 77mins. 
Bridport then had the audacity to steel some of the referees limelight when Sherbornes Kimber was guilty of some poor defending trying to shield the ball out of play which was pinched by Bridport who broke quickly and concisely to take a 2-1 lead on 79 minutes. 
Back to the cautions and next up was Ben Cochrane in bizarre when the referee stopped play for two balls being on the pitch, I am not sure how that equates to a caution you would have toask him! Sherborne then broke through Binding whos long range shot sneaked into the corner of the net past the despairing dive of the Bridport keeper 2-2 82mins cue another caution this time Montecute who had gotten over excited at his teammate levelling affairs 82 minutes.Next up was Adam Barratt, followed closely by manager Jamie Manley....followed even closer by Assistant Manager Richard Parkinson the latter two picking up dismissals. 
The second half was ruined as a spectacle by one man and I find myself typing more about the cautions and dismissals than about the game and that's exactly how I felt last night no man management from the referee who had lost the players confidence who in turn could not control their frustration, discipline and anger at such poor officiating. 
Did I forget to mention it was now extra time not that anybody appeared to want it but it was Bridport who seized the initiative to score a well worked goal, a great ball down the wing by Luke saw Morley in on goal and he made no mistake beating Cochrane at his near post.Play was disjointed for the rest of the match with Sherborne going close when Cochrane came up for a late corner and headed towards goal only to see some great defending by Bridport clearing off the line. 
The referee played his encore by sending Binding off to bring Sherborne tally for the night up to 3 dismissals and seven cautions..............I think!