Away Match vs Bridport FC (TWLPD)


Monday 26 December 2011


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2011/12


Sherborne Town 1st


2-1 (Away Defeat)


Match Report

After going in front, Sherborne Town departed from Bridport without a point after conceding two penalties.

In front of a decent crowd of 218, the game started at breakneck speed as if both teams had been penned in since before Christmas Eve.

Tom Richardson and Dan Wise combined well before the latter shot wide from a difficult angle for the hosts after nine minutes.

 On 21 minutes, Sherborne Town took the lead when a speculative ball from Dan Morgan from fully 35 yards flew into the net with Bridport's keeper Sam Filkins unsighted by a defender and an attacker who both missed the ball!

Three minutes later, Bridport's Wise was one-on-one with Sherborne keeper Marc Lock, but the midfielder couldn't lift the ball high enough over the keeper to score. Russell Legg of Bridport saw a cross hit the top of the bar ten minutes before the break, but Sherborne could have been three up when first Harry Montacute shot wide and Matt Morley blocked one of his colleagues shots on the line.

The Bees equalised when a mazy run by Russell Legg was stopped illegally in the box, Wise slotting the resultant penalty into the bottom right hand corner three minutes before the break.

With the wind at their backs, Bridport had to deal with a Sherborne side with their tails up in the second period. Bridport defender Darren Lock diverting the ball off of Tony Cunningham's head eight minutes in.

Bridport moved ahead with 57 minutes elapsed when Richardson pounced on a defensive error and fed Darren Watts who was tripped by Lock for a second spot kick. With the keeper sent off, stand in goalie Nick Jacobs was powerless to stop Wise repeating his penalty routine.

Bridport were then reduced to ten men when sweeper Shane Evans was dismissed for a foul.

 Bridport subs Sam Charles and Crit Clarke could both have increased the winning margin in the last three minutes.