Away Match vs Street FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 20 February 2016


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


4-0 (Away Defeat)


Sam Farthing

Match Report

Sherborne made the relatively short trip over to Street after the Tannery Ground had passed two morning pitch inspections. The visitors were without their first and reserve keepers who were unavailable for selection in stepped George Irvine to make his Toolstation league debut. George Mapletoft made a welcome return to the starting eleven following a long term knee injury and Elliott Mann was preferred to Steve Friend who had to make do with a place on the substitute’s bench.Adam Barratt picked up a injury in the mid week draw with Gillingham and was also unavailable. There was some confusion for the travelling supporters when the Zebras came out of the tunnel in Streets red reserve shirts but all was soon cleared up when it was explained the referee was unhappy with the amount of white in both sides’ first choice colours and asked for a change which slightly delayed the kick off.
Street were the livelier looking side in the early stages and soon got themselves infront when Kris Hasting got on the wrong side of his man in the penalty area and in making a last ditch tackle bough him down to concede a penalty that the league’s leading goalscorer Steve Murray expertly despatched past George Irvine.Sherborne were architects of their own downfall and although the freekick awarded to Street that led to their second goal was fortuitous the goal that followed was a poor one for Sherborne to concede, Mark Randall was the man to send the ball into the Sherborne area that saw Lee Begg rise to head home past a stranded Irvine who had come but couldn’t collect the cross.
Steve Murray was causing the Sherborne defence al kinds of problems with his running off the ball and it was he who set up the third for when he sent in a low cross along the six yard area that Aiden Chainey got on the end of to slide the ball home and give his side a 3-0 advantage. Their were few bright spots for the visitors as they struggled to get a foothold in the game but there was certainly no lack of effort form the boys.
Street started the first half as they did the first Mark Randall sent a freekick goalwards that Irvine dealt with comfortably unfortunately the same couldn’t be said moments later when he failed to gather a Street corner that fell right at the feet of a well-placed Chainey who made no hesitation n slamming the ball home and effectively ending putting the game to bed. 
In fairness to Sherborne who were playing on a heavy pitch for the second time in five days they continued to try and get themselves back in the game Cianes and Winsper going close but failing to trouble an underworked McDiarmid in the home goal until the dying stages of the match when he produced a fine save to deny Mann who had been well set up by the hard working Sam Farthing. Tony Cunningham was also denied an effort on goal when a tremendous latch ditch tackle by Jack Malone thwarted his attempt.
A difficult day for the Zebras and having given the home side the first two goals made life hard for themselves. Credit to both sides who tried and did play some good football on a difficult surface that the Street groundstaff did well to make playable given Friday nights down poor and a heavy shower mid-morning! Man of the Match went to Sam Farthing who as ever put in another tremdous performance on an energy sapping surface.