Home Match vs Street FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 17 January 2015


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2014/15


Sherborne Town 1st


3-2 (Home Win)


Marc Caines

Match Report

After the pitch was passed fit following an early morning inspection Sherborne welcomed Street to Raleigh Grove for this league fixture, Street were on a six match unbeaten run whilst Sherborne had not won in their last two outings. Phil Ormrod was still absent through injury although the dual registered Luke Winsper was available again following a foot injury and took a place on the substitutes bench. Before the match started there was a minutes silence for the Somerset FA Referees Development Officer Keith Buller.
As the match kicked off it was the home side that started brightly creating a couple of corners in the first five minutes but being unable to create any real efforts at goal with them, the closest they came was a Steve Friend drive that never troubled Dancey in the visiting goal.Salter came the closest for the visitors but again his effort never troubled Beale.
Sherborne took the lead their early dominance deserved following a long throw from Montacute that Dancey came for but never got, as the ball dropped 8yrds out Jarman was on hand to slam the ball into the top corner of the net 1-0 15 minutes played.
Street responded brightly to going behind and began to maintain a bit of pressure on Beales goal, Baker headed narrowly wide on 22 minutes and a minute later Hunt drove forward and fired an effort into the near post that looked like it had Beale beaten but he got down smartly to get a strong hand on the ball to keep it out. Williams was next to try his luck but again the shot was wide.
Despite the tricky conditions both sides were trying to play some good football in what was beginning to develop into a decent game.Caines combined well with Hodges who inturn set up Montacute who hit a long range effort from distance that flew just over Danceys’ crossbar.
Sherborne were then stunned by an equaliser that came out of nothing for Street as they pumped the ball forward Beale came charging out of his area to clear the ball but was deceived by the bounce and the onrushing Salter had no hesitation in sneaking in and sliding the ball into an empty net to bring parity to the scoreline, 1-1 36 minutes played.
This time it was Sherborne who raised their game as the half came to a close it was Hodges that had the Street defence in a panic, firstly a glancing header form a Caines cross that was easily gathered by Dancey then he got in on 45 minutes and looked certain to score until Danceys superb intervention to deny him and keep his side level going into the break.
Sherborne started the second half brightly and were soon bearing down on the Street goal,Caines header over from a Friend cross.Street were forced to shuffle their pack on the 55 minutes mark as former Sherborne player Turner picked up an injury and had to be replaced by Truckle,Truckle had a swift introduction to the game as Farthing upended him within a minute of coming on!
The lead was restored by the home side when they won a free kick some twenty five yards from goal in a central area,Caines stepped up and produced a superb strike that left Dancey clutching a thin air and home side wheeling away in delight, 2-1 60 minute played.The home side delights was however short lived as the home side got back on level terms within a minute, pouring forward from the kick off they worked the ball into the penalty area playing some intricate passes between Salter and Baker saw Salter in on goal and he made no mistake from six yards out giving Beale no chance 2-2 61 minutes played.
The game was opening up as the players visibly tired on a heavy pitch, it was hard to call which way the game was going to go as both teams counter attacked each other.Malone was cautioned for hauling down Day when he was in full flight heading towards the Street goal.
Sherborne replaced Friend with Winsper and Hurford for Jarman, whilst Street sent on Dyer for Hill as they looked for fresh legs to give them the edge in the closing stages.
It was Sherborne who were to take the lead for the third time as Caines bore down on Daceys’ goal he was brought down by Amghar as he looked to pull the trigger, referee Parsons had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.Caines picked himself up and despite the keeper getting a hand on the ball he couldn’t keep it out 3-2 Sherborne 88 minutes. 
Street had one last chance to take something from the game as Baker tore down the wing he cut into the penalty area but shot weakly at Beales near post which the home keeper comfortably gathered. 
Final score 3-2 and a great advert for Western League Football, last week Sherborne never got what they deserved but this week few could argue they were worthy of the 3 points.Man of the Match could have gone to a few but goes to Marc Caines not just for his two goals but his work in defence also.