Home Match vs Street FC (TWLPD)


Wednesday 25 September 2013


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


1-2 (Home Defeat)


Steve Burton

Match Report

Sherborne welcomed Street to Raleigh Grove with both teams looking to reverse FA Vase defeats the previous Saturday, the home side welcomed back the experienced Clarke, Under 18s' goalkeeper Liam Norris was in for his home debut in place of the injured Knibbs and Ollie Wake returned to a place on the bench.

Street were unbeaten in the League thus far this season but it was Sherborne who started the brighter plating some neat football, the first chance was not far away when a long clearance from Montacute caused panic in the Street defence and a poor back header let in the ever lively Matt Day for his first chance of the match unfortunately his lob was narrowly wide.

Sherborne continued to pile on the pressure with Montacute long throws into the Street penalty area causing panic but not creating any real openings.Shernorne continued to play some good football and again Day was unlucky with a drive which the Street keeper had to be alert to and tip over the bar.

Street took the lead somewhat against the run of play when from a corner the home keeper could only punch the ball into the danger zone leaving the unmarked Street player to smash the ball home form 12yards.

Sherborne were not perturbed by this and continued to match Street in the midfield area with Burton again outstanding patrolling and orchestrating his side to bigger efforts.Further chances fell to both sides with Farthing, Day and Binding missing chances for the hosts whilst Salter was wasteful in on goal for the visitors.

Sherbornes finally got the goal their play deserved just before half time when some good football out wide from Montacute and Binding eventually led to a goal mouth scrabble which Cochrane was on hand to slide the ball home 1-1.Street had time to create some further panic in the home penalty area with a succession of corners before referee Barter bought a halt to proceedings.

The second half started with Street winning leant of free kicks in dangerous positions but a mixture of poor delivery and some good defending notably from Barratt,Cochrane and Clarke kept them at bay,a mistake form Clarke on 67 minutes saw him lucky to escape with a caution after he lunged in for a 30/70 ball in the middle of the park which saw his opponent need lengthy treatment.

 Street then got the vital breakthrough on 72 minutes when a goal mouth melee' ensued with keeper Norris making one outstanding point black  in the middle of it unfortunately he never got the break his saved deserved and the ball was pounced on by the Street attacker to poke it home 2-1 Street.

Day produced a great bit of skill beating three men on his route to goal before being cynically bought down by a Street defender who was lucky he never saw yellow, the resulting free kick was wasted and time was running out for the home side.

The light hearted moment of this competitive match came when the junior linesman then went down injured eventually having to be replaced by the home pysio Fred Theobald, not before the assistant was greeted with a rendition of "always look on the bright side of life" over the tannoy.

Sherborne continued to press in the dying stages with Binding shooting wide and Jacobs heading wide from a corner but Street were using all their experience to close the game out and the final whistle came 2-1 Street.