Home Match vs Street FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 3 September 2011


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2011/12


Sherborne Town 1st


0-5 (Home Defeat)

Match Report

Sherborne Town were unable to complete the double over thier local rivals, Street, after falling to a 5-0 defeat.

Sherborne Town manager, Mickey Spencer said: ''We had a good start to the season and we are in a better position this time than we were last season.  After the last couple results, we will need to strengthen and the experienced players will have to dig deep in order to help achieve results this season.''

After just 4 minutes on the clock, the visitors capitalized on a defensive error to go in front. Sherborne defender, Lee Clark gave possession away, allowing Street’s Kye Palmer to  run on goal, and calmly score his first of three goals.

On 9 minutes, Sherborne Keeper, Jack Burnett was equal to an effort from a Street attacker, and ten minutes later, made another crucial save to keep the score at 1-0.

Sherborne’s best effort of the first half came on 36 minutes; forward, Sam Bowers broke down the left wing and looked to pick out teammate, Jack Dalziel with his penetrating cross, but the ball fired straight across the box, missing the connection which would have troubled the Street keeper.

The visitors doubled their advantage two minutes after the restart, when a long clearance from their keeper troubled Sherborne keeper, Burnett who could only parry the ball to Street attacker, Kye Palmer who smashed home the rebound.

Street then added a third on 51 minutes, when Kye Palmer's shot beat the keeper and went into the bottom left to complete his hat-trick.

The game looked to be out of Sherborne’s reach after the hour mark, when Street ended a goalmouth scramble to fire the ball into the back of the net, to make it 4-0.

Sherborne midfielder, Chris Luke was introduced to the game, marking his return to competitive action, replacing Mark Lawrence.

The closest Sherborne came to scoring throughout the match, was on 68 minutes when a corner eventually found, Jack Dalziel who was unlucky not to score from his overhead kick which hit the post and went out to safety.

The scoring was completed six minutes from time when a Street attacker put away his simple tap in.

Sherborne Town manager, Mickey Spencer said: ''We were missing one or two players and at the moment, we don't have the luxury of missing players as we have not got the strength in depth.

We didn't compete enough to warrant a win, and now the points have been shared between ourselves and Street this season.''

Spencer added: ''I have to applaud the attitude of Jack Burnett who played in goal. He equipped himself well and made crucuial saves in the first half. Also, Jake Hobbs who showed promise and determination throughout the match and also slotted into the left back role in the second half.

We now have a two week or so break which has come at a good time and our main focus is now on training.''

Sherborne Town's next match is at Bishop Sutton's 'Lakeview' for a league encounter which will take pace on Tuesday 20th September (7.30pm kick off).

Sherborne Town Line-Up: Jack Burnett, Jason Bond, Mark Lawrence (Chris Luke 63), Nick Jacobs, Lee Clark, George Warr (Jamie Manley 75), Matt Morley, Harry Montacute, Jack Dalziel, Sam Bowers, Jake Hobbs.