Away Match vs Hallen FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 17 October 2015


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


2-1 (Away Defeat)


Ben Cochrane

Match Report

Sherborne were on the road for fifth time in succession this time a long journey up the M5 to Hallen, the zebras were boosted by the dual registration signing of Luke Winsper from Dorset neighbours Weymouth and the return of ace marksmen Marc Caines who took a place on the bench.Jake Hobbs who had stepped up from the reserves to perform well at Shepton Mallet in mid-week kept his place in the starting line-up.
The first half was one of few chances and was devoid of any decent passing football from either side on a pitch that was ripe for fast flowing football. The nearest Sherborne came was Nick Jacobs firing high and wide on two occasions and Hallen were unlucky when a cross whipped in by Paul McKelvaney was headed wide by Issac Reid in the dying stages.
The second half proved a half of two halfs! Sherborne started much the better side and go themselves in front in the 50th minute as Ben Cochrane who was dominant in the air all game won a challenge deep in his own half that found its’ way to Winsper who in turn played a delightful ball through to Nick Jacobs who this time made no mistake lobbing the ball over the advancing Hallen keeper Kane Mannings and into the back of the net.
This drove Sherborne on who visibly grew in confidence and looked like they were going to add to their tally,Haydn Hodges set up Winsper whose effort was scrambled wide by Kevin Camargo. Cochrane then saw a goal bound header scrambled away to the edge of the area where Hodges was lurking only to fire the loose ball well over Mannings’ crossbar.Winsper then went close when he latched on to a quick Tony Cunningham throw but his weak effort sailed wide of the target.
The turning point came in the 76th minute Jake Hobbs and Luke Winsper failed to clear their lines leading to Winsper to send a weak header towards Beale that never made its intended target as Josh Digby nipped in to poke past the exposed keeper. This visibly lifted Hallen and crushed the fragile visiting side’s confidence. Hobbs was rescued moments later when his weak header let in an onrushing Hallen attacker but Beale came to his rescue with a fine save that left him playing the rest of the game carrying an injury. There seemed like there was only going to be one winner as the home side pushed forward however the winner came in controversial circumstance on 89 minutes as the ball flashed across the goal Beale challenged the attacker at the far post, the attacked tumbled and the assistant referee rose his flag to signal a penalty to the hosts Beale claimed he palmed the ball away and few seemed to disagree with him,Beale and Farthing both picked up cautions for their protests.
When the kerfuffle had died down a cool Tom Collett stepped up to send Beale the wrong way and hand his side the three points that at one stage in the second half had seemed extremely unlikely.
Sherborne’s day was made even worse when Haydn Hodges was needlessly sent from the field of play in time added on for foul and abusive language towards the match referee, a rant that will earn him a hefty fine and lengthy suspension….
Another disappointing day for the Zebras who could and should have come away with something from this game, again architects of their own downfall. Man of the Match went to Ben Cochrane who was dominant in both the air and on the floor.