Away Match vs Hallen FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 6 December 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2014/15


Sherborne Town 1st


0-3 (Away Win)


Haydn Hodges

Match Report

Sherborne travelled to a low on confidence Hallen side looking to increase their unbeaten league run to seven games, once again Manager Manley was forced to re-shuffle his pack with Luke Winsper being called up by his parent club Weymouth to warm the bench and Matt Day unavailable. Into the starting line-up came Marc Caines and Phil Ormrod.
The match started in a hap hazard fashion with both sides struggling to string two passes together, the first to show any meaningful effort was Hallen who forced a corner that the safe hands of Beale had no trouble dealing with. The home side were then unsettled by a shoulder injury to striker Hills who had to be replaced after only 13 minutes of involvement.
Sherborne were struggling to click into gear but you could sense they would be the first to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and create something, this they did in fine style on 24 minutes when a great cross field ball by Montacute was picked up by Hodges who galloped down the wing to produced fine cross for Jarman who given all the time in the world controlled the ball and smashed it smartly past Growcott in the home goal. 1-0 Sherborne.
Sherborne were well and truly on top a Montacute free kick found Caines unmarked but his turn and volley went well over Growcott crossbar.Jarman was next in on the action again moments later with two efforts in quick succession but neither could trouble Growcott.The second goal Sherbornes pressure deserved came in the 34th minute when again some good work from Hodges down the flanks eventually saw the ball fall to Caines who in a similar fashion to Jarman had time to control the ball and fire past an exposed Growcott. 2-0 Sherborne.
As the half came to a conclusion all Hallen really had to show for their efforts was a tame shot straight at Beale by Corrish.
The second half started with Caines working himself into a good position only to fire high and wide on 6 minutes. It was then Hallen who were to have their best spell of the game, although it has to be said they never really had the quality in their forward play to cause Sherborne too many problems as the visitors showed a great discipline and shape to their game.
The hard working visitors eventually increased their lead on 78 minutes when a quick throw from Hodges saw a poor clearance fall to Ormrod who calmly controlled the ball on the edge of the Hallen penalty area and lift it over a static Growcott. This knocked the stuffing out of Hallen and the game fizzled out to a conclusion.
A solid workman like performance from a confident Sherborne side who never looked like losing the game despite a lacklustre start.Sherbornes Man of the Match was Haydn Hodges who had a hand somewhere in all three of his sides’ goals and provided the quality early on to allow Sherborne to break the deadlock. For Hallen it emerged after the game that their Manager Paul Owen had told the players before the game it was to be his last and that maybe explains their performance?