Away Match vs Hallen FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 12 April 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


0-3 (Away Win)


Lewis Morgan

Match Report

Sherborne made their way up the M5 to Hallen looking to build on a four match winning streak that has seen them lifted up to tenth in the Toolstation Western League table. Ace marksmen Marc Caines and Matt Day were back in the starting lineup following their mid-week absence at Radstock.Taking places on the bench were Steve Friend and Gary Bowles who was returning from injury. 
The match kicked off with Sherborne playing against a strong and cold wind and the early stages of the game belonged to Hallen who were playing some neat football as Sherborne struggled to get out of their own half for any length of time.The first meaningful save came in the seventh minute when Sherbornes Smith who darted off his line to smother a shot out for a corner which Hallen couldn't make anything out of.The next scare soon followed when following a long through ball the Burtys back line stood ala' Tony Adams hands raised calling for an offside decision that never came, Hallen were proving to be wasteful in front of goal as the striking surging through never managed to make Smith work. 
Sherborne had to wait until the 27th minute before threatening the Hallen goal forcing a corner which came to nothing.Hallen next threat on goal came following a misunderstanding between Wake and Montacute, stand in centre back Burton came to the rescue on this occasion with a well timed tackle to clear the danger. 
Sherborne best chances of the half came as the half was coming to a conclusion Matt Day nipping in to beat the keeper to the ball before watching his shot trickle inches wide and Morgan had an effort on goal that never troubled the home custodian. 0-0 Half time. 
The second half got underway in a similar vain to the first only this time it was Sherborne who were camped in the Hallen half but couldn't muster anything meaningful on target.Manager Manley changed things in the 53rd minute bringing off the injured Farthing and replacing him with the returning Bowles, this had an almost immediate impact as he was crudely bought to the ground within a minute of being on the pitch, the resulting free kick was handled by the wall leading to another free kick nearer the target which Bowles could only fire over. 
A goal was surely coming as Sherborne were playing some neat passing football, Haydn Binding and Matt Day combined well only for Binding to drag his shot off target in the 61st Minute.Morgan then set up Bowles who like his counterparts could only shoot wide.Captain Burton was the first to sting the Hallen custodian hands driving smartly from the edge of the area that needed to attempts to hold. 
The turning point came when Hallen made a brief foray into the Sherbrone half and a shot that had Smith beaten was acrobatically cleared off the line by Cochrane(it was going wide but we'll let him have his glory)The ball was cleared up field to Caines who crossed at the second attempt for the a placed Bowles to open the scoring with a neat header into the corner of the net 1-0 Sherborne 63 minutes played.This soon became two when the increasingly influential Morgan scored an absolute pearler hitting a shot from thirty yards across the goal and in off the post 65 minutes played 2-0 65 minutes played.This then became three when Binding latched onto a poor clearance from the Hallen defence to volley into the net leaving the keeper on the floor flapping his hands in frustration. 
From 0-0 to 3-0 in four crazy second half minutes, a period that killed the game for Sherborne as a stunned Hallen couldn't quite believe what had happened to them. The Zebras then proceeded to play some of their best football of the season as they passed the ball around with confidence creating more chances but being unable to convert them. 
Hallen did rally in the closing stages and Smith was lucky when he got caught in possession but was fouled on the process, he then saved bravely at his near post taking a wack in the shins for his trouble...get there quicker next time Smithy ;-) 
Sherborne closed the game out to seal a fine three points that sees them climb up one more place to ninth in the league.Hallen will feel that missed chances in the first half cost them the game but take nothing away from Sherborne whos second half performance was as good as I have seen all season with some great passing football.Man of the match went to Lewis Morgan who ran the midfield in the second half although mention should be given to Captain Steve Burton who again was a tower of strength in the back line alongside Cochrane Wake and Jacobs and Montacute.