Home Match vs Hallen FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 2 November 2013


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


1-2 (Home Defeat)


Sam Farthing

Match Report

Sherborne welcomed Hallen to Raleigh Grove looking to halt a run of eight straight league defeats and lift themselves away from the danger zone.Team selection saw the returning Caines and new signing Lewis Morgan taking places on the substitutes bench. 
The game kicked off in gale force winds not conducive to free flowing football, both sides created early chances but without troubling either keeper.Sherborne had spells early on playing some neat football in particular Day and Binding combining well but being wasteful in front of goal. 
Hallen were more than a match for the home side in what was becoming an increasingly scrappy dour game with much huff & puff in the midfield areas with little result coming from either sides efforts.On the half hour Hallen went close with a free kick which Knibbs shepparded wide.The first real near miss saw Hallen have a shot cleared off the line by Jacobs as they began to exert some pressure on the Sherborne goal. 
Hallens pressure finally paid dividends in the 40th minute when after a midfield scramble the ball came off the referee and fell to Ben Bament who raced through and blasted a shot past a despairing Knibbs.There was just time before the interval for Sherborne to go close and some fine play from Day running past defenders before seeing his cross his cross volleyed narrowly over by Plant. 
The second half got underway with Plant again going close but Hallen always looked dangerous on the break keeping the Sherborne defense fully employed, Knibbs saving well on 55 minutes from such an attack.Sherborne then had a change of luck when Binding went on a run into the box which ended with him being bought to the floor, the  near side Assistant immediately flagged for an infringement and it was good to see an unsighted referee trust his assistants judgment and duly award Sherborne a penalty,it was Plant who was to take it to but despite a decent strike he saw his shot well saved by an inform Sam Burgess. 
Plant and Barratt were then replaced by the returning Caines and new signing Lewis Morgan in what was becoming an increasingly scrappy game with sherborne having plenty of chances which saw some further fine saves from Burgess.Disaster was to strike Sherborne in the 82nd minute when a sharp Hallen attack saw a great cross field pass to the winger who flashed an early ball into the penalty area for a grateful Mark Fear to side foot home past an on looking Knibbs 2-0 Hallen. 
Sherbornes response was rapid when following an attack the ball bounced up and hit the defenders arm to see Sherborne awarded a rather fortunate penalty kick which the returning Caines gleefully accepted and placed the ball past Burgess who was unfortunate not to save the shot having got a good hand to the ball 2-1.With five minute left Sherborne continued to pressure the Hallen goal without success Caines was a little unlucky seeing curling effort destined for the top corner again well saved by Burgess who was Hallens stand out player of the day.