Home Match vs Longwell Green Sports FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 9 April 2016


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


2-1 (Home Win)


Jason Bond

Match Report

It was a sodden Raleigh Grove surface that greeted the committee as they turned up for the scheduled Toolstation League game against Longwell Green Sports after the morning downpours.After much hard work by the said committee the referee turned up around two o’clock and deemed the pitch playable. Then the heavens opened again around two thirty leaving the pitch barely playable with surface water and a new Sherborne lake appearing! Credit to the referee Josh Ainscow and his assistants who was prepared to give the game the chance to go ahead.Marc Caines came in for Adam Barratt and Luke Winsper travelled with his parent club Weymouth.
Longwell Green were to start the game the brightest, Jack Rhys Jones being the first to test the handling of Jamie Beale who was more than up to the task saving well down low. The strike force of the visitors were not shy in trying to beat Beale from distance Jones,Connor Davis and Mitch Saunders all having efforts from the edge of the area in the first ten minutes in what was extremely tricky conditions for the goalkeepers of both sides.
Sherborne began to get into the game around the fifteen minute mark, Harry Montacute sent Elliott Mann away down the wing, Mann efforts got his side a corner which Marc Cianes headed on target but Phillip Jackson produced a fine save which came out to Kris Hastings who headed narrowly over the cross bar.
Montacutes long throw were causing problems for the visitors Mann headed one goalwards but again Phillips was equal to the task. The referee Mr Ainscow was controlling the game well allowing the game to flow when it could but his patience ran out following succession of fouls from Longwells Dernel Sinclair who picked up a caution for his troubles and was substituted later in the half.
The 38th minute was the pivotal moment of the half Longwell broke well and only a superb last ditch tackle form Hastings prevented Longwell from launching an effort on Beales goal,Beale then launched a long kick up field that Tony Cunningham headed to Caines who slipped in Montacute who had made a fine run down the flanks and made no mistake with the finish, driving it past Phillips’ far post and into the net.
Longwell, who it has to be said were a much tougher proposition than when the Zebras travelled away earlier in the season continued to probe the Sherborne defence,Jason Bond and Kris Hasting controlled the line well ably assisted by Nick Jacobs and Pete Ireland.Inded Ginger Pele (Hastings) was to feature  at the other end of the field trying an audacious overhead kick that unfortunately the great man himself would have executed far better as the imposter miss hit it wide!
The second half started with Longwell again on the front foot Connor Davis shooting over in the opening moments,it was fifteen minutes into the half before the host had an effort on goal but Mann effort was high and wide.Hastings was again called upon to make a last ditch challenge on Liam Oswin and he threatened to break through the same player then headed over from the resulting corner. A cross to the front post then caused Sherborne problems as one of their own players flicked it on only for the ball to creep past the far post to give Longwell a corner. Which came to nothing.
Sherborne doubled their lead in the 80th minutes, Marc Caines latched on to a through ball and in his attempts to round Phillips on the edge of the area was crudely bought to ground a brief discussion amongst the gathered supporters followed “red or yellow?” mixed feelings but the referee got it right and brandished the second yellow card of the day to Phillips. The resultant free kick ws further punishment as Tony Cunningham played it along the box to Steve Burton who side footed it past Smith.
The game should then have been seen out by the home side but as the supports of Sherborne know they don’t like to make things easy for themselves and this again proved the case when they let the home side get back into the game with five minutes to go. Mark Summers got on the end of a through ball and for the first time in the match he got there ahead of the Sherborne rear-guard to prod the ball past Beale 2-1.This week the home side managed to see the game out with little trouble as the referee bought a close to the proceedings.
A welcome three points for Sherborne in a game where both side and the match officials deserve credit for producing a reasonable game in awful conditions where common sense ruled the day by all concerned parties.Longwell Green may feel aggrieved that they didn’t a point for all their efforts but in truth for all their procession they didn’t create too much on a day where the Sherborne back line were on top form. Man of the match went to Jason Bond with strong performance noted from Montacute,Hastings,Bond,Irleand and Jacobs.
Next game Wednesday evening when we welcome night Bradford Town to Raleigh Grove KO 7.30pm
Mann. Subs:Stafie,Brown,Manley.