Away Match vs Longwell Green Sports FC (TWLPD)


Tuesday 12 August 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2014/15


Sherborne Town 1st


1-1 (Away Draw)


Gary Bowles

Match Report

Sherborne travelled to Longwell Green for their first midweek fixture of the season minus their Management duo of Manley and Waddleton,Chairmen Steve Paradise stood in for the manager alongside Kevin Leigh and Simon Evans.

Following Saturday hard earnt draw at home to Hallen Sherborne were looking to take all three points from this fixture and they started the game brightly when Phil Ormrod flicked on a cross to Sam Jarman who's effort had Ballard in the home goal scrambling but lucky for him he saw the ball fly just wide.

The Zebras continued to play the neater football although this was only in patches in what was a scrappy disjointed opening.Jarmen was involved in most of the action but was frequently frustrated by the assistants flag, one such occasion frustrated Lewis Morgan who  had fed through a delightful ball.

Longwell were full of effort and looked dangerous on the counter and against the run of play they took the lead just before half time and it was no surprise to regular watchers of Sherborne that it came through a corner kick that Beale in the away goal will feel he should have done better form allowing Longwells Bishop to beat him to the ball and force it into the net 1-0 Longwell on the stroke of half time.

The second half started badly for Sherborne Longwell had their tales up and played some decent football at times and were clearly chomping at the bit to hang on to their lead, although Kingdon was fortunate to stay on the pitch after taking Nick Jacobs out waste high on 51 minutes only earning a caution from an inconsistent referee.Steve Burton got caught in possession moments later and Longwell should have done better with the opportunity which was blazed over the bar.

The game was nearly put to bed minutes later when some fine work out on the wing saw Longwell Greens Tom Andrews cut into the penalty area and fire past Beale before hitting the foot of the post and bouncing away.

Sherborne swapped Phil Ormrod and Nick Jacobs for Raith Plant and Steve Friend on 65 minutes looking to force their way back into the match.Both side were working hard and showed good fitness levels although the final ball was not there for either as the midfield area seemed congested.Sam Taylor was the next Longwell player into the book for a foul on Haydn Hodges as tackles flew in around the central areas.

A last throw of the dice came from Sherborne when central defender Ben Cochrane was bought on in place of Haydn and thrown up front, Sherborne were edging into the came in the closing stages Gary Bowles also being pushed forward, Bowles was providing some much needed urgency into the side and he got his reward with 5 minute remaining after some good work out wide by Sam Jarmen who,s inch perfect cross was met by a onrushing Bowles ghosting in between two defenders to nod past a stranded Ballard 1-1 Sherborne.

The games last chance fell to Raith Plant who connected well but couldn't direct the ball goalwards from a long through ball.

Final whistle and a 1-1 draw which looked unlikely midway through the second half, a rather disjointed game with glimpses of the great football we were seeing last year from the Zebras.Man of the match was difficult to pick but Gary Bowles nicked it for getting some urgency into the game and providing the goal that gave us a point.