Home Match vs Longwell Green Sports FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 8 March 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


1-1 (Home Draw)


Ollie Wake

Match Report

Sherborne welcomed Longwell Green Sports to Raleigh Grove this Toolstation Western League fixture in bright sunshine, unfortunatley the team news was not so bright as both Gary Bowles and Steve Friend had failed to recover from the injuries they sustained in Wednesday nights defeat at Larkhall.Matt Day returned to the starting lineup alongside Ben Cochrane who had recovered from his back injury. 
Sherborne started on the front foot looking to carry on where they left off on Wednesday night but they were soon forced onto the back foot by a hard working Green midfield who caught Cochrane in possesion to create a decent chance that was blasted wide. 
Matt Day was quickly in his stride but his effort was blocked by the on rushing Jackson in the Longwell goal, Jackson was to go on and have an impressive game when again moments later he made another great save after some good work by Day down the line who crossed for Farthing to try a spectacular bicycle kick that Jackson got down smartly to turn around the post. 
The Zebras were well in this game now and some more good football led to Caines firing wide on 18 minutes however he made amends a minute later when he poked home a loose ball just inside the six yard area 1-0 Sherborne.This briefly rallied Longwell Green who had a good five minute spell of possession but couldn't test Smith in the home goal as their shooting was well off target.  
Haydn Hodges was next to bring the best out of the visiting custodian after a trade mark jinking run saw him in on goal, his strike looked like it was creeping into the near post until Jackson dropped smartly to finger tip it around the post for a corner which Sherborne couldn't make anything out of. 
The second half was not one for the purist as both sides were giving possession away cheaply, Longwell were first to show their hand forcing an early corner that came to nothing.Morgan and Caines combined well for Farthing to try his luck again however it hadn't changed and his shot never troubled Jackson. 
Trouble struck for Sherborne in the 58th minute when Cochrane was adjudged to have fouled the Longwell Green winger out on the touchline, the resulting freekick was floated over and with James Smith frantically back peddling in the ball found its way into the far top corner of his net 1-1 and game on! 
The best bit of football on the Day came from Montacute who was trying to make it a hat-trick of Man of the Match performances in a week, Harry turned defence into attack with great skill robbing the winger, driving past two players before releasing Day with a great through ball that bought another great block from Jackson. 
Haydn Hodges then had an influence at both ends of the pitch, firstly creating mayhem in the Longwell defence forcing the defender to slice narrowly over his home goal then moments later Haydn getting caught in possession in the midfield area leaving the Longwell attacker through one on one against Smith who wasn't called into action on this occasion as the shot was well wide. 
The game was getting hard to watch as the hot potato was causing some disjointed passing on both sides with errors being made it was surely only a matter of time before someone was going to be made to pay for their sloppyness.Sherborne Manager Manly tried to mix it up a bit bringing on Raiff Plant for the tiring Jacobs.Longwell had another great chance following some rare passing football on the edge of the Sherborne box but again the shot failed to trouble Smith. 
As it seems in most games of football there is always one great chance in the dying moments for either side to claim all three points and Sherbornes came in the 89th minute after another good run from Hodges who had put in his usual busy performance he played a great ball across to the on rushing Morgan who had to score surely.....o dear the ball bounced up and he couldn't get enough purchase on it and with Jackson going down in installments the ball agonizingly stayed out as he got a finger tip to it before clutching it in both hands as he fell to the floor. 
Longwell Greens final chance came deep into stoppage time when they won a free kick deep into Sherborne territory, alas before it could be taken we had to have the annual Raleigh Grove handbag exchange as a mass melee took place.After calm was eventually restored the free kick was hit into the area causing a bit of panic before it was eventually cleared and the referee signaled the end of a match. 
There was some dispute as the players came off the pitch following a couple of players being unhappy with their end of the deal in the handbag exchange that had taken place moments earlier.Although it was a point gained Sherborne will be disappointed they never secured all three however they were lucky the Longwell Green strike force had left their shooting points at home as it could just as easlily been none.