Home Match vs Bristol Manor Farm FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 1 March 2014


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


1-2 (Home Defeat)


Harry Montacute

Match Report

Having survived  an early morning pitch inspection Sherborne welcomed table toppers Bristol Manor Farm to Raleigh Grove looking to build on their recent improved performances.Sam Farthing failed a pre match fitness test making space for Matt Day to take his place back in the starting eleven. 
The match started brightly for Sherborne who won an early free kick that Morgan flashed wide of the goal and winning two corners in quick succession that came to nothing. Bristol Manor Farm slowly worked themselves into the match with a good work ethic and players running off the ball crating options to the ball carrier, James Smith in the home goal had to be alert punching a cross clear and Nick Jacobs who is enjoying a rich vein of form also defended well whilst also getting forward to cause the Manor Farm problems and it was his crossed that caused panic in the Farm rearguard which the panicked defender sliced narrowly over his own goal. 
Not for the first time this season I find myself reporting a yellow card for an opposition defender for bringing down the lively Matt Day in full flight as he weaved his way down the touchline, unfortunately the free kick was wasted.Manor Farm then broke quickly forcing a great save from James Smith who is also enjoying some good form between the sticks. 
Manor Farm grew into the game as the half progressed and Sherborne were having to work hard to keep them at bay and they were saved by the post in the 24th minute with Smith beaten and shortly after had a goal disallowed for a foul on Smith which resulted in referee Glen Barter handing out a lecture to Ben Cochrane and the Farm striker for their exchange of handbags.Farms pressure finally paid off in the 36th minute when a poor pass from the Sherborne defence left Smith darting from his line only to bring the attacker down who just got there before him, stonewall penalty kick and a yellow for Smith who was furious with his defenders, the resulting penalty was duly dispatch by Kyle Holy.Sherborne were spurred on by this and some good football by Jacobs, Day and Caines set up Friend who saw his well struck shot go wide of the target.Farms second goal came just before the half time whistle when the Sherborne defence stood off of Jordan Metors who curled a great shot into the far corner past the despairing dive of Smith 2-0 at half time. 
The second half started with Raith Plant replacing the injured Ben Cochrane and Farm were immediately on the front foot forcing an early corner and panic in the home defence,the games talking point arrived in the 60th minute when from a long kick up front from the Farm keeper to his frontline allowed them to play some neat football for leading the attacker to ahve a simple tap in, much to their frustration the goal was disallowed for an offside infringement which looked to be incorrect however after referee Barter had a lengthy consultation with his assistant the decision stood and Sherborne has what appeared to be a lucky escape and Farm picked up a caution for the protests.To rub salt into their wounds Sherborne then broke shortly after and good work by Morgan and Caines caused the defender to handle the ball, Sherborne Penalty which was confidently dispatched by Caines.  
Both sides continued to work hard without creating any further clear cut opportunities and it was Sherborne who finished the game the stronger of the two sides and the opposition were clearly glad when the referee bought a close to the game and the reaction of the two sides told a story of Sherbornes dispointed that they couldn't pinch the point their second half performance deserved and Bristol Manor Farm happy to escape with all three points that they will feel  they deserved given the "offside" decision that would have put the game to bed early in the second half.