Away Match vs Bristol Manor Farm FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 16 November 2013


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2013/14


Sherborne Town 1st


3-1 (Away Defeat)


Sam Farthing

Match Report

Sherborne travelled to high flying Bristol Manor Farm for this Toolstation Premier League fixture on the back of 9 straight league defeats that had seen a freefall down the table to leave them hovering just above the relegation places.Haydon Binding was serving a one match ban,Ben Cochrane was recalled to the starting line up to replace Clarke and Smith was in goal for his first start since returning to the club  replacing  the unavailable Knibbs.  
Manor Farm kicked off the match on a fine autumnal afternoon playing down the slope and showed some neat passing football with out really penetrating the Sherborne defence with long range efforts to show for their troubles although these were high or wide for the most part. 
The first real action of the game came in the 11th minute when Sherborne had strong clams for a penalty turned down when Day got in a tangle with the home keeper before being sent tumbling,the referee was not impressed however much to the annoyance of the Sherborne management team and frustrated Chairmen who was venting his spleen in my ear!
Sherborne were more than a match for the home side and enjoyed some good possesion but just lacking the killer final ball in the attacking third of the field.The Farm then had their best chance of the game so far when a long range shot was spilled by Smith who then atoned for his error with a great double save to keep the score to nil. 
The breakthrough came soon after for Manor Farm a little fortuitously however when the ever busy Farthing was adjudged to have fouled his opponent just outside the penalty area injuring himself in the process. Smith lined up his wall for the incoming shot but unfortunately the wall crumbled to allow the shot through and past a very annoyed Smith 1-0 29 minutes played.This gave the Farm a visible lift in confidence and they enjoyed their best spell of the game playing some neat one touch football and should have further increased their lead when following a cross the number 9 put his header over the bar when well placed. 
Sherborne Started the second half on the front foot shooting wide early on and playing with great passion and commitment and were clearly troubling the home side who were struggling to get started. The visitors were peppering the home goal with shots raining in from Burton,Farthing,Day,Caines and Morgan causing the keeper some concern. Kimber was then unlucky to see a  goal rightly disallowed for being offside .The goal their efforts deserved finally came in the 67th minute following fine work from Caines to earn a corner which was only partially cleared to  Montacute who put in a great cross leaving Day to rise at the far post to head home 1-1. 
Unfortunately the goal woke Manor Farm up and they soon got back into the game after a poor touch from Day gave Manor Farm posession and a defence splitting pass put the striker through one v one to blast the ball past Smith 2-1 down which was soon to become 3-1 following a corner Smith could only help into the net.
To their credit Sherborne never gave up and kept going until the end but to no avail as the final whistle blew. 
Although the Bristol side will feel they done enough to win the game it was a much improved performance from the Town and left a neutral spectator asking me how we were at the bottom end of the table, something I am wondering myself! 
Next up Winterbourne United Away on Wednesday 20th November.....see you there!