Home Match vs Brislington FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 19 December 2015


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2015/16


4-1 (Home Win)


Steve Friend

Match Report

Sherborne went into their final game before Christmas looking to get back on track following last weeks disappointing loss against Willand Rovers. Sherborne welcomed back into the side Luke Winsper,Sam Farthing was still out with a knee injury and Elliott Mann was unavailable.
Sherborne got off to a great start taking the lead in the 5th minute lead when Steve Friend hit a looping effort from the edge of the penalty area that sailed over Liam Macfarlane is the Brislington goal.Brislington struck back in the 13th minute Ricky Chandler sending a free kick from the edge of the penalty area under the Sherborne defensive wall and goal keeper Jamie Beale.
Sherborne were playing some good football but were lacking the killer touch in and around the penalty area.Brislingtons James Peart picked up a booking for a crude challenge on Adam Barratt in the26th minute.
Sherborne restored their lead in the 36th minute Luke Winsper finding Steve Friend on the edge of the penalty area Friend showed some nifty footwork to take the ball around Macfarlane and slot home form a tight angle.
Peart could consider himself lucky to stay on the pitch in the 38th minute when he bought down Luke Winsper earning himself a final warning from the match referee. Sherborne should have increased their lead on the stroke of half time a Marc Caines strike found its way to Adam Barratt at the far post whose effort was well saved by Macfarlane.
Brislington started the second half much brighter, Jamie Beale was called into action in the 50th minute saving well from Frank Gingel and again from a Jason Hughes header minutes later. The visitors were certainly causing Sherborne problems and they needed the assistant referees flag on two occasions to bring a halt to the pressure that was building.Adam Barratt made a superb defensive block when it looked like the visitors wold draw level. The 70th minute of the match bought about the turning point of the half Mike Whittingham adjudged to have lunged in two footed at Steve Burton leaving the referee with no option other than to send him from the field of play.
Sherborne’s Adam Barratt was unlucky to pick up a yellow card in the74th minute for a foul that looked like a clean challenge to most of the supporters gathered along the touchline. Peart sent a well struck shot straight that was comfortably saved.
Sherborne took the sting out of the match in the 87th minute in rather bizarre circumstances, Harry Montacute sent a free kick from the half way line into the Brislington penalty area that deceived Macfarlane and sailed into the net. The game was sealed on the stroke of full time substitute Sam Carney slid a ball through to Marc Caine’s who made no mistake slotting the ball under an advancing Macfarlane to seal the points for the home side.
A game that could have gone either way with twenty minutes remaining but Sherborne held firm when under heavy second half pressure to seal a deserved victory.Man of the Match went to Steve Friend for his two goals, other notable performance came from the industrious midfield pairing of Luke Winsper who had two assists and Adam Barratt.
Barratt. Subs:Cabel,Ireland,Carney,Rowe,Bond.