Away Match vs Brislington FC (TWLPD)


Saturday 11 April 2015


Toolstation Western League Premier Division 2014/15


Sherborne Town 1st


0-2 (Away Win)


Sam Farthing

Match Report

Sherborne made the journey to Brislington looking to stop the rot of two successive defeats,their cause was not helped by a growing injury list that consisted of Phil Ormrod,Steve Friend,Matt Day and Luke Winsper.Young Arron White kept his place after a bright full debut last week,on the bench was Elliot Mann,Sam Jarman and the veteran Manley.
On a dry hard pitch it was Brislington who were to start the brighter and they had a glorious chance to open the scoring in the second minute when a long through ball was not dealt with by the Sherborne defence,John Moss was though on goal with only Jamie Beale to beat but he drag his shot well wide of the target.
Sherborne were growing into the game and took the lead in the 22nd minute when some good passing saw George Mapletoft send in a great cross to the far post,as Marc Caines rose to meet the ball he was clattered by the Brislington defender loud appeals for a penalty were supported by the referee who had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Caines dusted himself down and calmly sent Chris Humpries in the Brislington goal the wrong way to give his side a 1-0 advantage.
This spurred the home side into action and their best player Alex Lambert was causing some trouble down the flanks giving Joe Smeeton and Harry Montacute plenty to think about Lambert getting a couple of good crosses into the Sherborne area the first just evaded Luke Meacham the second was headed over by Meacham. Brislington ended the half with a succession of corners but they were ably dealt with by the Sherborne defence.
The second half started in disjointed fashion as the teams were struggling to control the ball on a hard pitch, the first action of note saw Nick Jacobs send in a tremendous shot that looked to be dipping into the near post of Humphries goal before he pulled of a tremendous save to palm it out for a corner on 58 minutes. A minute later Sherborne should have extended their lead as Harry Montacute sent in a great free kick which Haydn Hodges flicked on to Marc Caines who could only fire over the crossbar.
The tempo of the game lifted when Hodges was crudely bought down by Sam Williams on 69 minutes, the resulting free kick saw Montacutes strike on target comfortably saved by Humphries. The referees patience shown to Williams ran out on 73 minutes when he fouled Nick Jacobs earning himself the caution a few thought he should have had for the earlier tackle on Hodges.
Sherborne wrapped the game up on 88 minutes and did it in fine style though some great football,Montacute fed Hodges who in turn picked up the run from Pete Ireland who burst through on gaol and fired past an exposed Humphries to send the Sherborne contingent home happy.
A good performance form Sherborne who put their Easter blues behind them! Apart from their chance in the opening minutes Brislington were kept quiet all afternoon by a hardworking Sherborne side eager to prove a point. Man of the Match went to Sam Farthing who put in a tireless performance but in truth Sherborne were top notch from 1-11.