Away Match vs Brislington FC (LP Cup)


Saturday 23 October 2010


Les Phillips Cup 2010/11


3-0 (Away Defeat)

Match Report

Sherborne Town manager Mickey Spencer had "no complaints" as his team crashed out of the Les Phillips Cup against Brislington at the first hurdle.

The Ironmould Lane hosts entered the Preliminary Round clash without a win since the opening day of the season but soon put paid to that statistic, registering a 3-0 success after an early storm from the visitors.

Town spurned a host of chances as they dominated the opening exchanges before Brislington scored two in quick succession. A late counter-strike as Sherborne pushed forward sealed the home team's progression.

Spencer said: "I can have no complaints, really. For the first 25 minutes it was all one-way traffic but we failed to capitalise on our chances and within the space of a minute we went from being on top to two-behind.

"A 3-0 win might have been a bit generous to Brislington but we tried something different with our formation. It seemed to work but the result would suggest otherwise."

Before kick off the Raleigh Grove boss had hinted at changes to his team's set-up and that bore true when Sherborne fielded three in attack, sacrificing a midfielder.

The away team settled well into their new-look 3-4-3 shape, with Andy Martin going close with a long-range drive.

Harry Montacute was next to come close to breaking the deadlock, before the Brislington keeper denied Sam Jarman when one-on-one with the striker.

Keeper Marc Lock, in for the unavailable Roy Emmerson, was called into action when required to tip over a free kick only to be beaten on 27 minutes against the run of play.

That advantage was doubled seconds later after a neat turn in the box from a Brislington attacker induced a foul from Lee Clark and the spot kick sent Lock the wrong way.

Despite enjoying the lion's share of the chances in the opening 45 minutes, Sherborne returned after the break chasing the game.

Attacking industry from Danny Thompson allowed Chris Luke to shoot, only for his effort to be blocked by a defender before Jarman almost threw his side a lifeline with a glancing header.

Substitute James Thompson - returning to the first team at the ground where he broke his leg two years ago - made an immediate impact having replaced Phil Ormrod, picking out namesake Danny who volleyed wide.

The Brislington keeper had to be on his toes to prevent James Thompson's shot from Montacute's cross from finding the net and then denied replacement Sean Westlake from close range.

James Thompson headed over with Sherborne final chance before a Brislington counter-attack created their third, match-winning goal.

Spencer said: "We made a few changes and I think they made us look a different prospect. We still showed well and I am not too discouraged.

"In some respects I am thankful it was the Les Phillips Cup. If we had won it would have given us something to look forward to and some added momentum, but getting knocked out in the first round is not a major concern."


Sherborne Town: Marc Lock, Harry Montacute, Jamie Manley, Steve Burton, Chris Luke, Lee Clark, Andy Martin, Kyle Chesterman, Sam Jarman, Phil Ormrod, Danny Thompson. Subs: James Thompson (for Ormrod), Sean Westlake (for Jarman).